All State Band
2018-2019 All State Band Information
Students must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland and meet the class membership and grade designations to be eligible to participate in the All State auditions.
Each director is responsible for seeing that each student has prepared the audition music and scales as described and at the tempos given. Any questions should be directed to the Executive Director by the teacher.
2018-2019 Junior Band
To participate in the Maryland All State Junior Band, a student must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland, must be in grades 7, 8, or 9, and must be in a band class. String bass players must meet the eligibility requirements listed on the orchestra pages and audition on the string requirements as found in the orchestra All State documents.
2018-2019 Senior Band (Orchestra Wind & Percussion)
To participate in the Maryland All State Senior Band, a student must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland, must be in grades 10, 11, or 12, and must be in a band class. In senior high schools in which an alternative scheduling program is operating, the student may participate in the year in which he or she earns a full credit. String bass players must meet the eligibility requirements listed on the orchestra pages and audition on the string requirements as found in the orchestra All State documents.
All State Junior and Senior Band Requirements and Procedures
There will be two judges in each room. Scores of the two judges in each room will be averaged. Clarinets, flutes, trumpets, and saxophones may be sent to a finals room after the first audition. If a student is to go to the finals room, the preliminary room judges will issue the student a “Finals Room Pass.” Those students will then go the registration desk to sign up for the finals room.
• Each student will be asked to perform the chromatic scale and one major scale for their instrument, selected from the fol- lowing keys: C, F, G, D, A, E, B- Flat, E-Flat, A-Flat.
• The scales must be performed from memory.
• Scales will be selected by the adjudicator according to the level of the selection being performed.
• The scales are to be played evenly and smoothly in a 16th note pattern at a metronome speed of quarter = 72.
• All scales are to be played ascending and descending a mini- mum of one octave, except Flute and Soprano Clarinet who shall perform the scales a minimum of two octaves.
• Required music: See required music list. Only an excerpt will be performed. The entire piece will not be required.
• The excerpts of the required pieces will be posted in the warm- up room and at the entrance to each audition room.
• No student may audition on more than one instrument (except for flute/piccolo, oboe/English horn and Eb clarinet/Bb soprano clarinet). Flute players wishing to be considered for piccolo parts, oboe players wishing to be considered for English horn parts, and clarinetists wishing to be considered for Eb clarinet parts should bring those instruments with them to the audition and will be asked to perform the required excerpts on both instruments.
• In the event that a student arrives at the audition with the incorrect audition music prepared, the student will be given the correct music and up to an hour to prepare the correct music before the audition.
Sight Reading: Sight reading will be required.
2018-2019 All State Junior & Senior Band Music
2018-2019 All State String Audition Requirements
Information and Requirements
String students in grades 7-9 may audition for the All State Junior String Orchestra. String students in grades 10-12 may audition for the All State Senior Orchestra. In order to participate in the Maryland All State Orchestra activities, a student must attend an independent (private), parochial, or public school in Maryland and be in an orchestra class for credit. In high schools in which an alternate scheduling program is operating, the student may participate in the year in which he or she earns a full credit. Please refer to the eligibility requirements in the All State documents on the website.
· Music Required: The music requirements for each group are listed in these documents. It is the student’s responsibility to acquire the music and prepare it. School directors should assist in this process. In the event that a student arrives at the audition with the incorrect audition music prepared, the student will be given the correct music and up to one hour to prepare the correct music for the audition.
· Most of the audition pieces are sourced from the public domain, and the excerpts are posted on the website at www.mmea-maryland.org. It is strongly recommended that you visit the website to be sure you have the correct excerpts. The exceptions to this are the etudes; they are sourced from books. No photocopies of this music will be allowed at the audition. Copyright laws will be enforced.
· Scales Required: Each student will be asked to perform One Major Scale and Arpeggio and One Minor Scale. In the case of two-octave scales, the lowest two octaves should be played. No arpeggio is required for the minor scales. All scales must be memorized.
· Sight reading will be required of all students.
· String Bass players are auditioning for assignment to the Orchestra or Band.
A harp player will be needed this year. This position is open to any student entering grades 7-12. Auditions will take place on the Junior Orchestra audition day (Saturday, November 10, 2018). Teachers, please contact Mary Ellen Cohn, MMEA Executive Director, for audition materials.
ALL STATE JUNIOR & SENIOR STRINGS REQUIREMENTS
JUNIOR ORCHESTRA AUDITION REQUIREMENTS - MUSIC LIST
Senior Orchestra Audition Requirements Scale Requirements