School Nurse
Beth Cox School Nurse


Medical Forms

Health Room Links:


Medication Procedures


Hearing & Vision Screenings

Absence from School



If you anticipate your child needing medications during school hours, please be sure to fill out a medication permission form appropriately and have an authorized adult bring the medication to school.  CCPS prohibits any students transporting medication to school.  Please be aware that any medications, except Advil and Tylenol, must have a doctor’s order for the medication to be administered in school.  Doctor’s orders are also required if you wish to give your child any other dosage than what is recommended by the manufacturer.  This would include giving a child under the age of 12 adult strength Advil and Tylenol, or giving a higher than recommended dosage.


Carroll County Health Department to Hold Immunization Clinics at ORMS

The State of Maryland requires all children in public schools to be up-to-date on vaccinations. This helps protect them and others from serious diseases. You are receiving this letter because our records show that your child may not have the vaccinations required or recommended to begin school in September 2019 as a 7th grader.
To make things easier for your family, once again Carroll County Public Schools is working with the Maryland Partnership for Prevention and Carroll County Health Department to hold immunization clinics at your child’s school. ORMS clinic will be held on March 13. Getting your child vaccinated now will mean you will not have to worry about doing it later.
The immunizations will be given at no cost to you. You will NOT be charged a deductible or copay. You do NOT have to be present for your child to be vaccinated and your child does not need insurance to be vaccinated.
If your child is entering 7th grade in September, these vaccines are required or recommended:
 Required: Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap)
 Required: Meningococcal Meningitis (MCV4)
 Recommended: Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
If you want your child to be vaccinated, please:
1. Go to and fill out a consent form online.
2. Fill out every section of the Consent Form that is on the back of this letter. Write neatly in ink.
3. If you have insurance, use your insurance card to fill out your insurance information accurately. Your insurance company will be billed.
    You will NOT be charged by us or your insurance company.
4. Read the Vaccine Information Statement(s) at and talk to your doctor or the school nurse about any questions you have.
5. Return the consent form to your child’s school by 3/1/2019.
We will send a record home with your child on the day he or she has been vaccinated. If your child does not get vaccinated on clinic day, we will send a note
letting you know why.
Forms were emailed home on February 14th. If you need a form, please click on the links below. 
Consent Form                      HPV                        HPV - Just the Facts                     Meningococcal                      tdap


Your 6th grade students’ Immunization Requirements Needed Before Starting the 7th Grade

Who:  YOUR STUDENT will need these two immunizations prior to entering 7th Grade (2019 – 2020 School Year)

What: Documentation of updated immunizations:

                             MCV4 (Meningococcal Vaccine)                                                                                  

                             Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis [Whooping Cough]                                           

What we need from you:

After students have received the required immunizations, please provide documentation from your health care provider to the school nurse BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. This can be faxed, scanned, emailed, dropped off by parent, or delivered by student.  Please do not delay submitting the documentation to the nurse.   It is helpful to bring in the proof of immunizations as soon as possible.

Any student not in compliance by the first day of 7th grade will be excluded

Questions: Thank you for your assistance in ensuring that your child’s immunizations are up to date. If you have any questions you may

contact your health care provider or the school nurse, Beth Cox RN.

The phone number for the health room is:  410 751 3600 The Fax number is: 410 751 3604

Questions may also be sent via e-mail to school nurse, Beth Cox RN (elcox

The following information is for a free immunization clinic at the Carroll County Health Dept.:


Students Calling/Texting Home

We are seeing an increase in the number of students who are calling/texting their parents to pick them up because they feel sick.

In order for a student to be signed out sick the student must come to the health room prior to any parent contact being made.

The nurse will assess the student and call the parent if the student is too ill to remain in school.

If the student requests that the nurse call a parent, this will be done. The student and parent together may make the decision whether the student will remain in school or be picked up and signed out sick.

If the decision to pick up a student is made without any prior student contact with the nurse, the parent may sign out the student unexcused.

If you are interested in getting out of the house and onto the hiking trails, the following is a guide

that will help you explore the great outdoors in Carroll County:



1) Cape Horn Park
Located in the rapidly-growing Hampstead-Manchester area, Cape Horn Park features one of the shortest trails in the county. The trail, which is open seven days a week from sunrise to sunset, offers one mile of paved trail. Getting There: Cape Horn Park is located at Route 30 and Cape Horn Road.

2) Deer Park
The newest Carroll County hiking trail is situated in the Gamber area. Opened in the fall of 2006, the trail is available seven days a week from sunrise to sunset. Hikers are encouraged to use the 3/4 mile multiuse trail, which winds around the Deer Park recreation complex. Getting There: The Deer Park trail is located on Deer Park Road and Route 32.

3) Freedom Park
This scenic park serves the Sykesville and Eldersburg areas in southern Carroll County. Freedom Park contains a two-mile trail that extends from the main entrance to the woods that surround the park. The park is accessible seven days a week, from sunrise to sunset. Getting There: Freedom Park is located on Raincliffe Road in Sykesville, just east of Route 32.

4) Gillis Falls
The trail’s location offers easy access to residents of Mount Airy and Woodbine. Hikers will find nearly three miles of multiuse trails in the area. Trails are open sunrise to sunset seven days a week, from February 16 through August 31. From September 1 to February 15, the trails are closed on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday for the Cooperative Hunting Program. Getting There: Gillis Falls is located on Grimville Road, east of the town of Mount Airy. The nearest main access roads are Routes 27 and 94.

5) Hashawha Environmental Nature Center
Hikers will find the Hashawha trails in a scenic area near Westminster. If you are game for a long-distance hike, Hashawha is the place for you. There are nearly five miles of trails within the complex, which is open sunrise to sunset seven days a week. Getting There: Hashawha is on John Owings Road, off Route 97 a few miles north of Westminster.

6) Morgan Run Environmental Area

The Morgan Run Environmental Area can be found in a quiet location between Westminster and Eldersburg. There are several miles of multiuse trails, which are open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to sunset. Getting There: Morgan Run is located directly off Route 97, at Ben Rose Lane near Bartholow Road.

7) Patapsco Valley State Park (McKeldin Area)
Eight miles of scenic multiuse trails greet hikers who choose the McKeldin Area of this huge state park. Located in the southeastern corner of Carroll County, the McKeldin Area features six different trails of varying distances. The longest stretch is the Switchback Trail, which provides hikers with a scenic view of the Liberty Dam Overlook at the end of the trail. The park is open seven days a week at varying hours, depending on the season. Getting There: While the main entrance of Patapsco Valley State Park is in Howard County, hikers should enter the park from the northern entrance on Marriottsville Road in Carroll County.

8) Piney Run Park
Hikers from all over the county are attracted to this scenic park, located in the Sykesville- Eldersburg area. They can get a good workout here, with five miles of trails to cover. They can also use another trail that winds through the park for three and a half miles. At the northern end of the park, hikers can find approximately four miles of multiuse trails. All trails are open seven days a week, from sunrise to sunset. Getting There: Piney Run Park is located at the intersection of White Rock and Martz Roads. The closest main access roads are Routes 26 and 97.

9) Sandymount Park
Sandymount services residents from the busy Westminster-Finksburg corridor. The park contains nearly 1.4 miles of paved trails. It is open seven days a week, sunrise to sunset. Getting There: Sandymount Park sits off Old Westminster Pike, between Sandymount and Green Mill Roads. The nearest main access road is Route 140.

10) Union Mills

You can spend the entire day walking the multiuse trails at Union Mills. Hikers will be challenged by eight miles of trails, which are open sunrise to sunset seven days a week from February 16 through August 31. Because of the Cooperative Hunting Program, the trails are closed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from September 1 through February 15. Getting There: Union Mills is located north of Westminster, off Saw Mill Road.


"What is Juuling?"

Please click here for more information on Juuling. Juuling is the act of using an electronic cigarette

called the Juul to vaporize nicotine.

E-Cigarettes - A Tip Sheet for Parents

Please click here for more information on E-Cigarettes and your teen!

"Pfizer RxPathways"

(Special Program to Help Families)

Pfizer and other pharmaceutical companies have established

special programs to help ensure that patients on limited incomes

and those without insurance can obtain needed drugs.

Pfizer RxPathways, formerly "Pfizer Helpful Answers",

helps eligible patients get access to their Pfizer medicines

by offering a range of support services, including

insurance counseling, co-pay help, providing Pfizer medicines

for free or at a savings and more.

 for more information.