The building formerly known as Mt. Airy Middle School was originally built in 1956 as a high school. The 3 level, 16 classroom building with auditorium, gymnasium, library, cafeteria, industrial arts and vocational agricultural shops, locker rooms, lavatories and offices opened in September of 1957. In 1966, after the completion of South Carroll High School, the Mt. Airy School became Mt. Airy Middle School.
During the 1999-2000 school year, Mt. Airy Middle School was named an Honorable Mention School in the Maryland Blue Ribbon School Program. This program identifies school of excellence in the areas of academic achievement, curricular excellence, significant parent and community involvement, and continuous staff development and growth. In September 2001, Mt. Airy Middle School became the first middle school in Carroll County to earn Blue Ribbon Status.
Due to serious overcrowding in Mt. Airy Elementary School, it was determined that a new elementary school would be built in Watkins Park. Until the completion of the new school, the 5th grade would move to the middle school. With the start of the 2002-03 school year, the 5th grade moved into portables behind the middle school. Parr's Ridge Elementary school opened in September of 2005 and Mt. Airy Middle School converted back to grades 6th, 7th and 8th.
Community members and staff advocated for the construction of a new facility to meet the needs of our students, due to serious overcrowding conditions at Mt. Airy Middle. During the 2009-10 school year, a planning committee was established to review conceptual designs for a potential replacement middle school.
In July of 2011, ground was broken for the construction of the new Mt. Airy Middle School. Students and staff enjoyed watching the new building grow out of the ground and anxiously anticipated moving into the new building. Plans were made during the 2012-13 school year to move to the new building during spring break. As a result of damage that occurred during Hurricane Sandy in the Fall of 2012, moving to the school was postponed.
In June of 2013, the final chapter of the old building was written, as the 8th grade farewell was held for the last time in the school. Within two weeks of the end of the school year, the move was complete to the new building. Demolition of the old building began at the end of June to make room for the bus loop of the new school. Students, parents, staff and community members enjoyed open house tours of the new school in August of 2013.