Winters Mill Virtual Academic Advising/Scheduling Night
February 10, 5:00—7:00PM
Parents and students in 8th grade are invited to attend a Virtual Academic Advising/Scheduling Night to ask questions about course requests, speak with content experts and/or counselors, and explore the variety of academic programs available at Winters Mill High School (WMHS). All of the information and links for this event can be found on the Winters Mill Scheduling Website (Virtual Scheduling Night section): https://sites.google.com/carrollk12.org/winters-mill-high-scheduling/home.
You will be able to visit the school nurse, counselors, and academic departments between 5pm-7pm by clicking on the Google Meet links provided on the website. Each department also has their own informational page in the Programs @ Winters Mill section of the website.
We are also offering the following sessions at specific times:
Planning with the End in Mind
Visit this session to learn about designing a four-year plan with your student and counselor. School counselors will share information on graduation requirements, testing requirements, and selecting four years of courses with purpose. A brief introduction to completers, internships, and dual enrollment will also be provided. (5:00—5:30)
Advanced Placement Courses (AP)
Interested in taking your first AP course? Come to this session to learn about the AP program at WMHS. Understand course expectations and the benefits of taking an AP course. (5:40—6:00)
Are you wondering, does an Internship help you with a career goal? Make sure to attend so you can learn the answer. You will hear from our Career Coordinator and WMHS students. They will explain what is unique about an Internship and who can complete one. They will talk about what classes are needed and how to find out if you qualify. (6:10—6:30)
Please visit the Winters Mill Scheduling Website for more information and access to workshop links.
Important 21-22 Scheduling Information for 8th Grade Students
Dear 8th Grade Students and Parents/Guardians,
We are excited to welcome you to Winters Mill High School. It is time to start planning your classes for 9th grade. Your middle school counselors will be meeting with you to provide an overview of the scheduling process. Your middle school teachers are also busy working on recommendations for which English, Math, Science, and Social Studies classes you should take in 9th grade. You will receive these course recommendations by email and mail from Winters Mill High School on or before January 8. On January 13, the Winters Mill counselors will explain how to complete an online course request for elective classes through Google Classroom. The Winters Mill counselors will also hold a virtual meeting from 6pm-7pm on January 13 for students and parents who have additional questions regarding course requests (we will email meeting links in January). The electives course request is due by January 22. Finally, on February 10 from 5pm-7pm, you are invited to attend our virtual Academic Advising/Scheduling Night. Once course requests are submitted, students may still make changes by emailing their Winters Mill counselor by February 12 (counselors are assigned by alphabet, and their contact information is provided below).
The Winters Mill scheduling website includes everything you need to know about scheduling and the Academic Advising/Scheduling Night. Please visit the website at: https://sites.google.com/carrollk12.org/winters-mill-high-scheduling/home.
If you have specific questions or wish to make an appointment with a high school counselor, their contact information is provided below.
Summary of Important Scheduling Dates
- January 8, 2021: Winters Mill will email and mail course recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) to 8th grade students and their parents/guardians.
- January 13, 2021: WMH counselors will meet virtually with 8th grade classes to go over how to complete an online course request for elective classes. Counselors will also hold a virtual scheduling meeting from 6pm-7pm for students and parents who have questions and/or need help with their course requests. A virtual meeting link will be emailed in January.
- January 22, 2021: Deadline for 8th grade students to submit their online electives course request through the designated Google Classroom. Students may also access the online course request from the Winters Mill Scheduling Website. Visit the Course Selection by Grade: Grade 8 webpage.
- February 10, 2021 5pm-7pm: Academic Advising/Virtual Scheduling Night for all students and parent/guardians. Visit the Virtual Scheduling Night webpage for more information and workshop links.
- February 12, 2021: Changes to incoming 21-22 course requests are due to Winters Mill counselors in writing.
Winters Mill Counselor Contact Information