SCH Community Food Pantry
Hours: Tuesdays 2:45 - 4:00 pm. Entrance at the back of the school. Please arrive no later than 3:45 pm.
Community Advisory Council
Let Your Voice Be Heard!
The Carroll County Public Schools Community Advisory Council (CAC) was established by the Board of Education of Carroll County to serve as a forum for public concerns, advice, and communication to and from the Board. The Council provides an opportunity for parents to give their input and express their concerns to the Board of Education and the Superintendent regarding topics and issues affecting the school system. Every school has a representative on the Council, which meets five times a year. Click the link here for more information about upcoming meetings. South Carroll High School's representative is Mr. Steve Geiger.
The first Community Advisory Council meeting for the school year was held on Monday, October 9. Here are highlights from the meeting:
- The Board of Education has two important initiatives taking place – redistricting and facility utilization and the next phase of strategic planning for the school system. The Board will hold a community town meeting on Tuesday, November 14, at 6 p.m. at Winters Mill High School to capture community input on these initiatives.
- The Board also is conducting an online community survey regarding redistricting and facility utilization. You may access the survey at http://bit.ly/2yiGXd1.
- Superintendent Stephen Guthrie gave the group information on the process and parameters for redistricting and school closures. During the school closure process, the Board approved two more school closures but voted to defer any action until new Board members were seated. The new Board then decided to delay any further discussion on school closures until they had a chance to discuss and review information related to closing schools. The Board held a series of work sessions to study topics including transportation, grade configurations, special programs, and special education and how they relate to school capacity. At this point there is no decision to close any schools. The Board will review feedback and discuss next steps in December.
- The proposed 2018-2019 school calendar is currently out for public comment. The calendar is posted on the CCPS website at http://bit.ly/2zmQXPG.
- Thom McHugh, an English teacher at Century High School, is a Finalist for Maryland Teacher of the Year. He is the first finalist from CCPS since 2012. The Teacher of the Year will be announced at a gala on October 27th.
- The Board has contracted with the Maryland Association of Boards of Education to perform the Superintendent Search. MABE will be conducting focus groups and CAC will be providing input throughout the project.
Oklahoma Road Middle School will host an internet safety forum with a speaker from the U.S. Department of Justice on November 1st at 7:00 p.m. The forum is open to all parents and employees, but is intended for adults only. More information is available at http://bit.ly/2yeiCog.