Jaime Fields - firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Fairbank - email@example.com
Senior Handbook Power Point
Hello Senior Parents!
We are pleased that we have been given permission by the School Board and the Local Health Department to have Live Commencement Exercises with the full senior class participating together. A plan has been put in place to hold this momentous event while still adhering to current social distancing guidelines and masking requirements. The event will be held at Shipley Arena at the Carroll County Agricultural Center in Westminster. The venue is indoors with adequate capacity to house students, staff and a limited number of guests for each student. This email contains important details that were not available at the senior parent virtual meeting earlier this spring. In addition, we have attached a calendar of senior events for your reference. This information will be shared directly with seniors at the upcoming virtual senior meeting on April 14th. It is important that all seniors plan to log in for that meeting. With the limited opportunity to rehearse, it is imperative that seniors who are participating in Commencement attend both required rehearsals, one at Shipley Arena and one here at Liberty. In addition to Commencement, we will be having two live awards ceremonies. The times and dates of these events are listed below and on the calendar. Due to social distancing regulations, we are only able to invite students who will be receiving awards and their parents to attend in person. The awards ceremonies will be recorded and available for viewing within a few days after each. You and your student will be contacted if the student is receiving an award. We do not specify which award(s) to maintain the surprise factor. Below are the important details:
- Tuesday, May 25th from 7:30 am-9:00 am at the AG Center Shipley building (directions provided closer to practice date)
- Friday, May 28th 8 am at Liberty High School (main gym)
Please note, Seniors will need to provide their own transportation to all practices. On the 25th seniors who are not virtual will need to return to Liberty High School for the remainder of their school day. We were assigned the practice time frame by the Ag. Center.
SCHOOL AND DEPARTMENT AWARDS CEREMONY
This event will be held from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM on Wednesday, May 19th in the school auditorium. Students who are receiving school awards and their parents will be invited individually. Students will dress in Caps and Gowns.
COMMUNITY AWARDS CEREMONY
This event will begin at 6:00 PM on Friday, May 21st in the school auditorium. Students who are receiving awards from the community and their parents will be invited individually. Students will dress in Caps and Gowns.
The senior picnic will be held from 12:30 until 2:00 on Friday, May 21st in the stadium. Dress is casual but school appropriate. Refreshments, games and other activities will be provided.
Admission to Commencement is by ticket only. Due to social distancing requirements and the capacity of the facility, tickets are limited to three (3) per senior. Guests will be seated in “family pods” in a manner in which 3-foot distancing is achieved between each “family pod” of three. Remember, tickets will not be distributed to any Senior with an outstanding financial obligation. Seniors are responsible for distributing their school-issued tickets and will not be released to anyone but the graduate. TICKETS WILL BE DISTRIBUTED AT THE PRACTICE ON MAY 26th.
HANDICAPPED/ HEARING-IMPAIRED SEATING (requests due in writing by May 3rd – NO EXCEPTIONS):
A special seating area for the handicapped and/or hearing impaired guests will be reserved at Commencement. To request handicapped/hearing-impaired reserved seating, email Mrs. Hodgkiss firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior name and type of handicap seating needed (wheelchair, walker, etc). Seating in these specific areas will be by reserved ticket only. These tickets are included in the three tickets you receive for Commencement.
GUEST SEATING AT SHIPLEY:
Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis. No seats may be reserved. Doors to the building will open one hour before the graduation ceremony for guests holding a ticket for admission. All guests attending Commencement must have a ticket for admission. Ushers cannot hold tickets for arriving guests. Please ask that your friends and family members attending the graduation ceremony be seated at least 15 minutes before the ceremony begins to avoid interference with the student processional. The lobby doors will be locked approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony and will remain locked until all seniors have processed into the Shipley Building. As this is a dignified event, we ask that all guests behave in such a manner.
LAST SENIOR MEETING: The last Senior Meeting will be Wednesday, April 14th at 10:30am. This meeting will be a final reminder of expectations for the senior picnic, all mandatory practices and Commencement. The meeting will be virtual and if your student has an internship, dual enrollment class or other school obligation and are unable to attend the meeting it will be on the LHS Info page under Class of 2021 to view within a day or two of the meeting.
CAP & GOWN DISTRIBUTION
If you ordered Graduation attire it will be distributed in the main lobby Wednesday, April 21st from 10am-3:30pm for ALL seniors and Thursday, May 22nd and Friday, May 23rd after school 2:30-3:30pm for those seniors unable to come Wednesday. Extra 2021 tassels will be available for purchase in the main office. The cost is $9 (cash or check made out to Balfour).
Reminder - do not iron the gowns!
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Hodgkiss or Mr. Hicks anytime with questions or concerns.
2021 May Calendar -senior dates to remember.pub
Service Learning Requirement
Students are required to have 75 Service Learning Hours to meet the state graduation requirement. Click on the following link to access the service learning reflection form. https://ext.carrollk12.org/servicehours/
If you need suggestions for service learning activities, please use the site below. https://sites.google.com/carrollk12.org/ccpsservicelearning/project-suggestions
Seniors and their families,
It is now 2021, the year you have been looking forward to since you began your school career. This past year has been a journey that no other class has endured to get to this point. This past year has been a journey that no one anticipated and yet we find ourselves here. Your persistence has been tested and your patience has been appreciated. The past few weeks we have started to receive information and guidance from central office regarding what the next few months might look like for seniors. As we begin to formulate the plans, we ask for your patience. As details are confirmed, we will update the website for all 2021 graduates and families to reference. Let me share what we know.
1) Graduation: The ceremony will be outdoors which will take place either at the McDaniel stadium, or the LHS stadium. They are anticipating an outdoor event. This is the first time since the 1980s that Carroll County Public Schools has hosted an outdoor graduation. We ask for your patience as we work out the logistics and the details with our central office. Discussions have started as we have seven high schools collaborating together to ensure your graduation is a success.
2) Prom: The decision not to hold Prom was a difficult one to process. Many students and parents have suggested alternatives and we appreciate the ideas. We acknowledge the efforts of the executive board as they worked to create different scenarios in an effort to hold prom; however, in the end it was not a school decision. Because of the lack of social distancing that proms, and any dancing in particular creates, holding such an event would not allow us to keep students safe, which is the main priority. Such an event could jeopardize participation in other important events, such as commencement. Therefore, a decision was made at the school director's level that No proms will be held by any CCPS high school.
3) Events/Activities: We continue to look to other opportunities to celebrate the senior year. Please feel free to share your ideas with members of the class executive board, or your class advisors, Mrs. Fields and Mrs. Fairbank. The first thing to confirm is the Senior Picnic. We asked for your response to a picnic or breakfast, and the seniors overwhelming voted for a picnic. Details will be forthcoming.
As plans continue to develop, please check this site and emails for updates.