High School Boot Camp
The administration and teachers of Francis Scott Key High know the ninth grade year is critical to students’ success in high school. Many students find adjusting to the differences between eighth and ninth grade a challenge. In an effort to help our incoming ninth graders have a smooth, successful transition to high school, FSK is hosting our third annual High School Boot Camp from July 23–27 & July 30-August 3 (Monday through Friday). We will meet at Northwest Middle School in Taneytown from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Lunch and a small breakfast will be provided.
This program will focus on the most important aspects of the ninth grade year. Not only will we review the math and reading skills required in freshman classes, but we will also emphasize the following:
- note-taking, study skills, time management, and organization.
- speaking and reading in front of a group.
- conflict resolution and social skills.
- the importance of regular attendance.
- getting involved and feeling connected.
- resources available when students need support.
- avoiding bad habits.
- career exploration.
- service learning project (students will earn at least 10 service learning hours).
Our program will be led by Alethea Miller, Student Support Facilitator at FSK, and Emily Copenhaver, Math teacher at FSK. Several upper class students will be helping as well. Our program was incredibly successful last summer; our students made the transition to FSK smoothly and did very well academically this year.