This program is certified by Project Lead the Way® and CollegeBoard®
(AP® and Advanced Placement® are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.)
INDEX FOR THIS PROGRAM'S PAGE
From the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Website
At a time when computer science affects how we work and live, PLTW Computer Science empowers students in grades 9-12 to become creators, instead of merely consumers, of the technology all around them.
The program’s interdisciplinary courses engage students in compelling, real-world challenges. As students work together to design solutions, they learn computational thinking – not just how to code – and become better thinkers and communicators. Students take from the courses in-demand knowledge and skills they will use in high school and for the rest of their lives, on any career path they take.
PLTW Computer Science courses are part of the AP + PLTW computer science pathway.
<CLICK> TO SEE THE BROCHURE FOR THIS PROGRAM
Computer Science Video
CCCTC Perspective and other CCCTC videos
Why do students come to CCCTC?
Project Lead the Way and CollegeBoard (AP classes) partnered to make this cutting edge, college prep class. Students in this class will be far ahead of other students when they enter the world of computer science in college. This program puts you in touch with state of the art technology so students can experience their chosen career field before they go to college. (more)
Learn from an instructor with a degree in Computer Science and work with industry grade technology that our local business partners use every day. After gaining skills and experience some of our best students come back as in-house interns or find an internship at a local business. (more)
Our Programs has been highly successful in state and national competitions sponsored by SkillsUSA. (more)
What skills and concepts do students learn in this program?
Major Units of Study
- Computer Science Principles Using Python® as a primary tool, students explore and become inspired by career paths that utilize computing, discover tools that foster creativity and collaboration, and use what they’ve learned to tackle challenges like app development and simulation. This course is endorsed by the College Board, giving students the opportunity to take the AP CSP exam for college credit.
- Computer Science A Students collaborate to create original solutions to problems of their own choosing by designing and implementing user interfaces and Web-based databases, as well as creating a game for their friends or an app to serve a real need in the their community. This course is aligned to the AP CSA framework.
- Digital Electronics From smartphones to appliances, digital circuits are all around us. This course provides a foundation for students who are interested in electrical engineering, electronics, or circuit design. Students study topics such as combinational and sequential logic and are exposed to circuit design tools used in industry, including logic gates, integrated circuits, and programmable logic devices.
- Cyber Security Students explore the tools and concepts of cyber security and create solutions that allow people to share computing resources while protecting privacy.
Getting started on your career path takes skills. Students at CCCTC are evaluated on skill attainment in the following areas for this program (more)
At CCCTC we know how important professionalism is to getting and keeping a job. We emphasize professionalism in each program. (more)
How does this program add VALUE to your diploma?
Students Can Earn College Credits
CollegeBoard and Project Lead the Way both allow students to take college level final exams which, along with good grades, can lead to earning college credits on a transcript These agreements are a way of saying that our program, software, equipment and instructor meet the same high standards as that of a college or post-secondary institution.
CLICK HERE TO SEE COLLEGE CREDITS YOU CAN EARN AT CCCTC
Contact the college or trade school you plan to attend and find out if you can earn credits or advanced standing at their institution.
If students have what it takes they still have to APPLY!!
- MUST be able to work independently
- AP/Transcipted level classwork
- Able to memorize large amount of information
- Computer and technical skills
- High interest in Mathematics and Science
- Organizational skills to manage multiple projects
- Problem-solving skills to analyze situations or data and produce appropriate solutions
- Self-motivation and academically ready for college level curriculum
- Strong math and reading skills (college level)
- Utilize logic to solve problems
- Work through difficult problems
OUR PROGRAMS ARE RUN LIKE REAL BUSINESSES!!! Do you have the work ethic, perseverance, professionalism, and problem solving skills needed to be successful in your career field? (more)
SPACE IS LIMITED FOR SOME PROGRAMS. See what you need to apply. For instance tenth graders who apply by Dec 1st are part of the first round decisions. (more)
How does CCCTC fit with your home high school?
ARRIVAL/DISMISSAL AND TRANSPORTATION FROM CCCTC
Transportation is provided to and from your home high school. (there are some exceptions such as community based internship) Students will still have classes at their home high school and continue to be involved in extracurricular activities at their home high school. (more)
PREREQUISITES (Completed before you start the program)
Algebra II CHECK THE PROGRAM OF STUDIES FOR OTHER SCHEDULE PLANNING
SCHEDULE OF PROGRAM
This program runs mod 2-3 in the spring of student's junior year AND mods 2-3 in fall of the student's senior year for most high schools. (more)
SAMPLE EDUCATIONAL PLAN AND PROGRAM OF STUDIES INFORMATION
Look in the program of studies to find the most up to date info on your program
Different career paths that all start with this program.
CAREERS/MAJORS (CCCTC AND...)
ENTRY LEVEL (....HIGH SCHOOL)
TECHNICAL LEVEL (.....2 YEAR ASSOCIATE DEGREE OR TECH CERTIFICATE)
- Software Applications Specialist
- Game Developer
- Web Designer
PROFESSIONAL LEVEL (....4 YEAR BACHELOR'S DEGREE AND BEYOND)
- Applications Analyst
- Applications Engineer
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Computer Programmers
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Database Developer
- System Administrators
- Test Engineer
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers
Check Out These Career Sites:
ONET: The O*NET program is the nation's primary source of occupational information.
OOH: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Extensive government database of over 20,000 Career.
Check Out These Career Sites to find the many paths our student begin at CCCTC!
What do PROFESSIONALS say about CCCTC?
(Don't just take our word for it)
Professional Organizations certify our programs CollegeBoard and Project Lead the Way continually access our facilities and instructors to assure parents and students that the skills we teach are relevant and important in today's job market. This program's PLTW certification must be renewed every three years through an onsite evaluation of the program.
Colleges An agreement based on the college's requirements for curriculum, faculties, and instructor is prepared and renewed periodically to guarantee that students are getting the equivalent instruction at CCCTC that would be expected in class at that institution. Credits are awarded based on that agreement. (See college advantage)
PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY COUNSEL By Federal and state regulations each program has a group of local business and educational institutions that periodically meets to discuss the programs curriculum and resources to make sure current trends in technology and skills are being taught so that students are prepared for the ever changing career requirements for that industry. (more)