The Mission Statement
The mission of the School Counseling Program is to promote the academic and social / emotional growth of all students. Counselors, as integral members of the educational team, help to support students in making positive life choices and becoming responsible and caring adults.
The School Counselor...
- Counsels individually with children
- Conducts small group counseling sessions
- Teaches monthly guidance lessons in the classroom
- Collaborates with teachers and other staff members concerning children and their needs.
- Consults with parents and provides education and information regarding their children
- Obtains information on community resources for families
- Facilitates and supports school wide expectations that emphasize Character Ed.
During Individual and Group Counseling We…
- Help children cope with difficult life events (i.e. divorce, moving, grief, and separation)
- Help children recognize and make use of their potential
- Give children the opportunity to share their feelings and concerns
- Help foster positive decision making skills
Work on self-esteem and confidence
- Have children learn the skills necessary to become respectful, responsible members of the community
- Help children develop friendship and conflict resolution skills
Topics for Classroom Guidance Lessons May Include:
- Character education
- ROAR traits (Respect, On-Task, Responsibility, Attitude, and Responsibility)
- Peer relations
- Individual differences
- Problem solving skills
- Conflict resolution
- Bullying and teasing
- Decision making skills
- Communication skills
- Career awareness & exploration