Sandymount Elementary School (SES) is a school rich with history. SES began in 1935 as a three-room stone building consolidating the smaller one room schools of Reese, Bethel, and Sandymount. In 1936, a modern cafeteria and an auditorium with a stage were built to keep pace with a growing Sandymount community. Traditionally, SES has always responded to the needs of it's students and the community as evidenced by modernization projects and serving as "home base" for the Sandymount Recreation Council.
In 1991, a major renovation moved the faculty and the entire student body twenty minutes away from the school's Finksburg site into portables. During an 18-month period, the school was modernized, enlarged and core facilities such as the gymnasium, media center, and cafeteria were revamped. When the school reopened in November 1993, teachers and students were thrilled to return to the new and improved Sandymount Elementary School. The motto, "Sandymount Elementary Moving Ahead Together" is repeated in the tradition of movement and betterment.