Out-of-County Living Arrangement/State Supervised Care

Section 4-120.1 of the Education Article of the Maryland Code provides that children who are placed by a state agency, licensed child placement agencies or by the courts in living arrangements within counties other than where their parents reside, shall be enrolled in the receiving county without tuition charge upon completion of a Non-Resident Pupil Application and submission of documentation from the placement agency verifying the placement.  The law permits LEAs to be reimbursed by the school system in which the student's parent(s) reside and provides a state mechanism for transfer of funds.  The law applies only to Maryland residents who are placed by approved agencies and does not include children living with a relative, step-parent, or a person exercising temporary care, custody or control over a child at the request of a parent/legal guardian of the child.

Contact the Student Services Department at 410-751-3120 for additional information.