Inclement Weather Information
Portfolio reviews will be canceled when schools are delayed or closed for inclement weather.
Click here to re-schedule a fall portfolio review
NEW - Maryland State Department of Education Home Instruction Video Series
Part 1 - How to begin Home Instruction in Maryland video
Part 2 - Required Components of a Maryland Home Instruction Program video
Part 3 - Coming Soon
Home Instruction Information / Application Packet:
Annual Testing Schedule
Maryland State Curriculum Brochure
MSDE Curriculum Website
MSDE Home Instruction Information Page
MSDE Frequently Asked Questions
Portfolio Review Forms:
Understanding the Portfolio Review Process
Summary Review Sheets
MSDE Approved Oversight Groups
MVA Learners Permit form - DL-300
Maryland State Law requires all applicants for a learner’s permit, under the age of 16, to demonstrate acceptable school attendance in the prior school semester. To verify school attendance, the Home School Coordinator must complete sections B and D of the DL-300 form. Please complete section A on the DL-300 form and contact M. Dona Foster at (410) 386-1822 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment for your form to be certified. Forms wil be completed by appointment.
GED Home Instruction Verification form
You must be at least 16 years of age to register to take the GED® tests. If you are 16, 17, or 18 and are receiving or have completed home instruction: You must provide verification of participation in home instruction by submitting a GED home instruction verification form to the Maryland GED® Office. Please complete the student contact information section of the form and contact M. Dona Foster at (410) 386-1822 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment for your form to be certified. Forms will be completed by appointment.
Home schooling is instruction provided by a parent or legal guardian in lieu of enrolling the child in a public or private school.
A parent or guardian who chooses to provide regular and thorough instruction in English, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, health, and physical education should:
- Complete a Home School Notification Form. Indicate on the form if your home instruction program will be supervised by Carroll County Public Schools (Option A) or if you are enrolled under the supervision of an MSDE registered oversight group (option B).
- Your home instruction program must:
- Provide regular, thorough instruction in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age;
- Include instruction in English, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, health, and physical education.
- Take place on a regular basis during the school year and be of sufficient duration.
3) Parents or guardians providing a home instruction program must maintain and present a portfolio of materials to be reviewed two times per year. A parent or guardian who chooses to provide home instruction for his or her child is responsible for selecting and purchasing the curriculum and instructional materials to be used. Summary sheets may be used in conjunction with your portfolio help make the portfolio review process more efficient.
4) Parents or guardians using option A under the review of Carroll County Public Schools should sign up for a portfolio review on the CCPS Home Instruction web page.
5) Parents or guardians using option B should contact the umbrella group that is providing home instruction oversight to schedule a portfolio review
Upon the completion of graduation requirements, home instruction students may take the GED. Carroll County Public Schools does not issue diplomas to students receiving home instruction.
Please contact M. Dona Foster for more information at (410) 386-1822 or email@example.com