Special Education

The Special Educator assesses your child's cognitive, play, behavioral, and social-emotional skills.  Children have varying learning styles and intellectual abilities.  The Special Educator will individualize teaching interventions to meet the specific needs of your child.  She will make referrals to other disciplines as appropriate.


Nursing Care

The nurse receives referrals for infants at high risk for developmental delay; some of whom may be medically fragile.  The nurse monitors all areas of development, coordinating services for any area showing atypical or delayed development.  The nurse may assist the parent/caregiver in organizing medical information and in communicating with the child's clinicians as needed.


Physical Therapy (PT)

The Physical Therapist evaluates your child's ability to move through his/her environment safely. Children who have an illness or birth injury may have difficulty reaching their developmental milestones like rolling, sitting, crawling, standing and walking. With your input the physical therapist will design a treatment plan to help develop muscle strength, joint range of motion and balance. The PT will also evaluate the need for orthotics or other assistive devices/adaptive equipment.


Occupational Therapy (OT)

The Occupational Therapist evaluates your child's abilities in the areas of feeding/eating, self-care, sensory processing and regulation, and fine motor skill development. Children may have difficulty in one or more of these areas and may have resulting developmental delays. The OT works closely with the family to design a treatment program to meet specific goals related to function. The OT will also evaluate the need for adaptive equipment to help you and your child be successful.


Speech-Language Pathology (SLP)

The Speech-Language Pathologist evaluates your child's receptive and expressive language skills, feeding and swallowing skills, and speech skills. A speech disorder affects the child's production of sound (articulation or fluency), while a language disorder deals with the child's ability to understand what is said or to put words together to communicate their thoughts. The Speech-Language Therapist will design a program based on the goals established for your child.


Vision Services

Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired Infants and Toddlers in Carroll County includes assessments, direct services, and consultation to parents and staff. These services can be provided in the home or daycare setting. Certified teachers for the Blind and Visually Impaired work with the infants/toddlers to evaluate their functional vision and monitor growth and development of the eyes. They also attend IFSP meetings and assist with transitioning the child into school age settings and IEP document.


Hearing Services

Services for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired Infants and Toddlers in Carroll County include both direct services and consultation to families and staff regarding hearing assessments, hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other technology.  These services are provided in the home or daycare setting; and if the parent desires, can be paired with services provided by the Maryland School for the Deaf.  Certified Deaf Educators work with the infants/toddlers and their families to assist in developing language, based on parent preference (Spoken English, American Sign Language, or other sign systems).  They also attend IFSP meetings and assist with transitioning the child into school age settings and IEP documents.