American Government develops content and skills related to the Voluntary State Curriculum's (VSC) Core Learning Goals for Government. Throughout the course, students examine and evaluate these major themes:
- United States Government Structure, Functions, and Principles
- Protecting Rights and Maintaining Order
- Systems of Government and US Foreign Policy
- Impact of Geography on Government Policy
- Economic Principles, Institutions, and Processes
This course also prepares students for the Government High School Assessment HSA). The Government HSA is given to students at the end of the course and reflects their understandings of these five themes. Information about the Maryland's High School Assessment program is available through the Maryland State Department of Education's website, mdk12.org.
To specifically examine Government HSA, public release items are provided for students, teachers, parents, and community members. Practice tests addressing each of the five themes are also provided.
Students may earn 5 service learning hours through the American Government course.