Membership Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible for nomination, it is mandatory that students attain at least sophomore status, be enrolled in a CCPS high school for at least 1 semester, have a greater than 3.75 cumulative weighted GPA, have no major disciplinary infractions, and not have been previously inducted into the National Honor Society. The below flow chart should help to illustrate students who are eligible for induction.
NHS Eligibility Flow Chart
Once these conditions are met, eligible students will be sent a packet by the chapter adviser soliciting information about the candidate’s qualifications in the 4 Pillars of the NHS: Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service. Packets are only distributed once every school year, only to eligible students. Students who believe they are eligible based on the above conditions, yet did not receive a packet, should see the NHS chapter adviser.
Meeting the scholarship component that makes a student eligible to apply for induction does not mean the student is a strong candidate for induction. Students must demonstrate excellence in all 4 Pillars to be strong candidates for induction into NHS.
Candidates should be known in their schools to exhibit characteristics of an NHS member daily, both inside and outside of school. Strong candidates for admission into NHS will demonstrate excellence in the following areas and identify with most or all of the traits listed below:
- Takes criticism willingly and accepts recommendations graciously
- Consistently exemplifies desirable qualities of behavior (cheerfulness, friendliness, poise, stability)
- Upholds principles of morality and ethics
- Cooperates by complying with school regulations concerning property, programs, office, halls, etc. ᴬ
- Demonstrates the highest standards of honesty and reliability
- Regularly shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others
- Observes instructions and rules, is punctual, and is faithful both inside and outside the classroom
- Has powers of concentration, self-discipline, and sustained attention as shown by perseverance and application to studies
- Manifests truthfulness in acknowledging obedience to rules, avoiding cheating in written work, and showing unwillingness to profit by mistakes of others ᴬ
- Actively helps rid the school of bad influences or environment.
- Be at least a sophomore who has attended any CCPS high school for one or more semesters. ᴮ
- Have a cumulative weighted GPA of at least 3.75ᴮ
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence inside and outside the classroom.
- Is resourceful in proposing new problems, applying principles, and making suggestions
- Demonstrates initiative in promoting school activities
- Exercises positive influence on peers in upholding school ideals
- Contributes ideas that improve the civic life of the school
- Is able to delegate responsibilities
- Exemplifies positive attitudes
- Inspires positive behavior in others
- Demonstrates academic initiative
- Successfully holds school offices or positions of responsibility; conducts business effectively and efficiently; demonstrates reliability and dependability
- Is a leader in the classroom, at work, and in other school or community activities
- Is thoroughly dependable in any responsibility accepted
- Is willing to uphold scholarship and maintain a loyal school attitude.
- Volunteers and provides dependable and well organized assistance, is gladly available, and is willing to sacrifice to offer assistance
- Works well with others and is willing to take on difficult or inconspicuous responsibilities
- Cheerfully and enthusiastically renders any requested service to the school
- Is willing to represent the class or school in inter-class and inter-scholastic competitions
- Does committee and staff work without complaint
- Participates in activities outside of school (for example: Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church groups, or volunteer for the elderly, poor, or disadvantaged)
- Mentors persons in the community or students at other schools
- Shows courtesy by assisting visitors, teachers, and students.
ᴬ Names may be withdrawn from nomination for certain disciplinary infractions
ᴮ Required for nomination