Role of the Curriculum Council
- Attend Council Meeting - There are four morning meetings each school year. The agendas of these meetings center on presentations and discussion of current curriculum and school improvement initiatives and issues, and textbook adoption.
- Develop a Working Knowledge of Curriculum Goals, Trends, and Issues.
- Network with Supervisors to Communicate Local Concerns and Issues Regarding Curriculum and School Improvement.
- Communicate Curriculum Trends and Issues with Individual Parents, Parent Groups, and the Home School.
- Review and Recommend Instructional Materials Proposed for Adoption. - Theses materials have been recommended by content area supervisors as content and level appropriate. Therefore, Council members review materials for the following factors:
- Language usage and illustrations consistent with community standards.
- Accurate recognition of minorities and ethnic groups.
- Avoidance of stereotypes.
- As Needed, Provide Input and Response to the Superintendent Regarding Issues Facing Carroll County in its Challenge to Bring about Continuous School Improvement.
Meeting Dates & Times
For school year 2017-2018, the Curriculum Council will meet from 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on November 3, January 12 (snow date - Jan. 19), March 2 (snow date - March 9), and May 11, in Fellowship Hall at Ascension Church in downtown Westminster. Textbooks and instructional materials submitted for adoption may be reviewed during March and April, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. in the Department of Curriculum and Instructional Resources at the Central Office.
Curriculum Council Membership List
Instructional Materials Approved at June 2018 Board Meeting
Click here to view Review of Instructional Materials Comment Card
Elementary Approved Instructional Materials
Middle School Approved Instructional Materials
High School Approved Instructional Materials