Students need to:
- Explore the concept of addition by using part-part-whole story mats (add to five, add to ten).
- Explore addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds (i.e. claps), acting out situations, or verbal explanations.
- Model story problems involving the joining together of two sets and then describe how many (add to five, add to ten).
- Decompose numbers up to 10 into pairs in order to find the missing part within a whole quantity (part-part-whole mat) (subtract from ten).
- Model story problems involving the separation of a quantity from a larger quantity and then tell how many (subtract from five, subtract from ten).