Plant Operations 410-751-3470
The major functions and activities of the Plant Operations Department are as follows:
- Care and upkeep of buildings and grounds - Includes snow removal, landscaping, lawn mowing, routine maintenance on furniture and movable equipment, utility services and custodial services. The equipment repair technician maintains and repairs all custodial and grounds keeping equipment and completed 399 work orders for the 2010-2011 school year. Some types of equipment that are maintained and repaired are lawn tractors, lawn mowers, weed eaters, floor buffers, carpet extractors, pressure washers, floor scrubbers, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Warehouse and Distribution Services - The warehouse facility (known as the Kessler Building) is used to house excess furniture, new and used equipment and custodial materials used throughout the school system. The warehouse contents are controlled by the Operations and Purchasing Departments through a computerized inventory system. Requests for pick up and delivery of items to and from the schools are processed and completed by Plant Operations. Outdated and unnecessary classified documents are shredded and destroyed through the warehouse facility.
- The material handlers pick up and deliver food products that are prepared for school lunches, including frozen foods, dry food products, and fresh fruits and vegetables from local farms. They hauled 474,210 lbs. of food during the 2010-2011 school year. Food is picked up and delivered on a regularly scheduled basis coordinated by Food Services.
- The distribution program involves the handling, distributing and storing of school furniture and equipment, delivery of custodial cleaning supplies and equipment, testing materials, interschool mail as well as delivering the US mail to the local post office, AV equipment for repair and return, paint for the athletic departments and paper supplies to Central Office. Live material deliveries are coordinated through the Office of Plant Operations and the Outdoor School.
- Environmental Services - Responsible for implementation and coordination of Tools for Schools IAQ program, risk assessment, asbestos management plan, adherence to regulatory requirements, Integrated Pest Management program, playground inspections, safety and health concerns, and development of in-service training.
The Plant Operations Procedure Manual was developed to outline the Plant Operations Department's procedures and processes.