The Carroll County Chamber of Commerce has recognized 725 teachers in the 32nd annual Outstanding Teacher Awards program. These awards recognize the educators in our school system who represent excellence in the teaching profession. Any parent, student, fellow teacher, supervisor or school administrator could nominate an outstanding teacher. The following teachers received Outstanding Teacher Awards:
- Jennifer Borcik, 8th Grade U.S. History Teacher, Northwest Middle School
- Megan Dash, BEST Program Science Teacher, East Middle School
- Dawnella Dill, Grades 9-12 English Teacher, Century High School
- Steve Findeisen, 11th and 12th Grade Social Studies Teacher, Manchester Valley High School
- Holly Fuhrman, Media Specialist, Shiloh Middle School
- Timothy Litzau, 2nd and 5th Grade STEM Teacher, Linton Springs Elementary School
- Sally Powell, ESOL Resource Teacher
- Carrie Stitcher, Grades 1-3 Teacher, Spring Garden Elementary School
The Carroll County Teacher of the Year will be chosen from among these eight outstanding teachers. That candidate will be Carroll County’s representative for the Maryland Teacher of the Year program. Each of the eight finalists will receive a $300 check from the Chamber of Commerce.
The Chamber of Commerce also awarded three scholarships in the amount of $300 to assist teachers in their continuing education:
- Melissa Frey, Mathematics Teacher, Century High School
- Lexi Rhoten, 8th Grade Mathematics Teacher, Sykesville Middle School
- Rebecca Romero, 5th Grade STEM and Humanities Teacher, Westminster Elementary School
The Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Tom Hill, Director of Middle Schools, who has dedicated 40 years of his life to Carroll County Public Schools. He began his career in 1981 as a physical education teacher at West Middle School and served as an assistant principal at Sykesville Middle School and principal at Shiloh and West Middle Schools. He has been the Director of Middle Schools for the past 11 years.
The Outstanding Teacher Awards program would not be possible without the generosity of its sponsors.
Baltimore Gas and Electric, Penguin Random House, Tevis Energy
Carroll Community College, Carroll Occupational Health, First Financial Federal Credit Union, Max Realty
Carroll County Public Schools PTA/PTO Organizations:
Carrolltowne Elementary School, Century High School, Cranberry Station Elementary School, East Middle School, Manchester Elementary School, Manchester Valley High School, Mt. Airy Middle School
Click here for the full list of nominated teachers.
Click here to watch the virtual event.