The Carroll County Public School System is seeking nominations for the Rita Board Dowd Award for Outstanding Carroll County School Administrators. This award has been created in memory of Rita Board Dowd, who passed away in May 2009.
Rita taught biology and science at North Carroll High School from 1997 to 2002. She was a member of the faculty that opened Winters Mill High School in 2002 and taught biology until her appointment as assistant principal in 2006.
The award is given annually to two school administrators - one principal and one assistant principal (K-12), awarded independently. The goal of the award is to recognize exceptional educational leadership in serving Carroll County Public Schools and its students. The award will ideally be given to administrators that demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excel - highly proficient at understanding and administering school policy
- Teamwork - cooperate with and inspire team initiative and collaboration
- Culture - creates an environment that engenders others to perform at their best
- Communicate - ability to communicate and listen at all levels
- Heart- demonstrate the ability to care in helping others
- Community - support extended community beyond official school events
- Results - area of responsibility is at an excellence level or has shown marked improvement.
Any full-time elementary, middle, high school, career and technology, or alternative program principal or assistant principal in the Carroll County Public School System may be nominated. Any student, administrator, teacher, parent, faculty and staff member, or other individual may nominate someone they feel deserves consideration for the award. Former recipients of the award will be recognized but cannot receive the award again.
Please click here for the nomination form. Nominations must be received by Wednesday, March 13, 2019, at 4:00 p.m.
The selection committee will be composed of a member of Rita Board Dowd’s family, the previous year’s winners, school directors, and the Assistant Superintendent of Instruction. The award will be presented during the Board of Education’s employee recognition ceremony on April 25, 2019.