The Carroll County Chamber of Commerce recognized 461 teachers at the 29th annual Outstanding Teacher Awards program held Wednesday evening, March 28, 2018, at Winters Mill High School.
The following teachers received Outstanding Teacher Awards:
- Michael Golden, Physical Education Teacher – Oklahoma Road Middle School
- Brandi Jason, Instrumental Music Teacher – Liberty High School
- Kimberly Johnson, Media Specialist – South Carroll High School
- Matthew Leibensperger, Social Studies and English Teacher – Winters Mill High School
- Gayle Sands, Reading Specialist – Northwest Middle School
- Jennifer Shipley, Grade 2 Teacher – Linton Springs Elementary School
- Tina Thomen, English Teacher – Manchester Valley High School
- Jacquelyn Williar-Voland, English Language Arts Teacher – North Carroll Middle School
The Outstanding Teacher Awards recognize the educators in the Carroll County Public School System who represent excellence in the teaching profession. Full-time elementary, middle, high school, career and technology, special education teachers, or media specialists in the Carroll County Public School System were eligible for nomination. Any parent, student, fellow teacher, supervisor or school administrator could nominate an outstanding teacher.
The Carroll County Teacher of the Year will be chosen from among the eight individuals receiving the Chamber’s Outstanding Teacher Award. That candidate will be Carroll County’s representative for the Maryland Teacher of the Year program. The 2018 Carroll County Teacher of the Year will be named during the Board of Education’s employee recognition ceremony on April 26th.
In addition, the Chamber of Commerce awarded Wilhelm Scholarships to teachers to assist in their continuing education. The scholarship recipients were Britni Hood, a 7th grade special education resource teacher at West Middle School; April Thompkins, a 7th grade life science teacher at North Carroll Middle School; and Jonathan Wolfe, a teacher in the BEST Program at East Middle School. The Chamber also presented a Lifetime Achievement Award to Superintendent of Schools Stephen Guthrie, who will be retiring in June after serving two terms as Superintendent.
Pictured (left to right): Jacquelyn Williar-Voland, Brandi Jason, Gayle Sands, Jennifer Shipley, Michael Golden, Kimberly Johnson, Tina Thomen and Matthew Leibensperger.